Our team of Structural Engineers work to ensure our clients receive a stress-free service.

You may require a specific structural survey if your lender would like further investigation on a potential structural inadequacy or if your Chartered Surveyor has raised concerns that requires intrusive measures. 

Further Investigation

If you are buying a mature property or a property that has been structurally altered and the calculations cannot be provided, you will benefit from the advice and confirmation from a Structural Engineer that the property is structurally sound. A structural inspection will typically investigate one area of concern, although should numerous areas need assessing these to can be included within the report.


Structural Engineers specialise in the structural aspects of a property. Should a property show signs of subsidence, unstable chimney stacks or dipping or sagging in the roof structure a structural engineer would confirm what repair work is necessary and provide a financial overview of how much this work is likely to cost.


The Structural Engineers that form part of our team are members of the IStructE (Institution of Structural Engineers) or a member of the ICE (Institution of Civil Engineers) and will have after his or her name the letters MIStructE, FIStructE, MICE or FICE.


Boundary Dispute / Party Wall Report


Clients require Boundary Disputes, and Party Wall Reports for many reasons. It could be that when you purchased your property you believe the neighboring premises had a garage extension that came onto your boundary. A Structural Engineer would complete an on-site visit to confirm whether the structure does fall within your boundary. A report would be produced and sent by email. Should the extension come onto your boundary, you can then take legal steps to have the structure removed or agree on specific terms.


The Party Wall etc Act 1996 provides a framework for preventing and resolving disputes in relation to party walls, boundary walls, and excavations near neighboring buildings.

A building owner proposing to start work covered by the Act must give adjoining owners notice of their intentions in the way set down in the Act. Adjoining owners can agree or disagree with what is proposed. Where they disagree, the Act provides a mechanism for resolving disputes.

The Act is separate from obtaining planning permission or building regulations approval.



Specific Structural Survey 


When purchasing a property with the aid of a mortgage, your lender will arrange for a valuation to take place. A lenders valuation is to ensure that the property is a worthy investment for them. Should the property show any signs of structural defects, the property will become unsuitable for mortgage lending purposes.


The decision can be reviewed by having a Specific Structural Survey completed to determine if the cracking is significant or cosmetic. The property should be inspected by a Structural Engineer, who will then compile a report for you.